Apprentice Lineman I
GreyStone Power Corporation
Job SummaryPerform as a beginning crew member in the construction and maintenance of overhead and underground distribution lines and equipment. Assist the Foreman, Lead Lineman and other crew members in the work as required.
Key Responsibilities and Limitations1. Must be capable of climbing and working on de-energized secondary poles while under direct supervision of Foreman, Lead Lineman or Lineman.
2. Loads and secures material on trucks.
3. Sets up work zone including road signs, road cones and flags traffic.
4. Assists in R-O-W clearing.
5. Operates forklift.
6. Digs anchor holes and drives ground rods.
7. Pulls wire from reel
8. Works safely and follows all safety rules.
9. Drives commercial motor vehicles while accompanied by a Lineman, Lead lineman or Foreman. Straight truck only – no trailers
10. Prohibited from climbing poles or structures normally energized at primary voltage
11. Prohibited from working from a bucket at any time
12. Prohibited from assisting in substation, line or URD switching
13. Prohibited from serving On-Call
14. Prohibited from working in energized pad-mounted transformers, cabinets, vaults, pedestals, switching cabinets and any and all other similar equipment
15. Prohibited from work on energized lines or equipment of any type or voltage
16. Prohibited from setting meters
17. May perform other duties as outlined in next level Apprentice position as approved by Operations Skills Development Coordinator (when time in position is the only requirement standing between promotion to the next Apprentice level)
Apprentice Lineman I Training Elements and Responsibilities:
1. Must Receive Certification in the following:
A. CPR and basic First Aid
B. Traffic Control/Flagging
C. Fork lift operation
D. Pole climbing
E. Pole top and bucket truck Rescue
2. Must enroll in GreyStone’s structured Apprenticeship Training Program
3. Must obtain Commercial Driver’s License
4. To perform assigned tasks in a manner consistent with acceptable standards of performance, which include following all safety rules and safe work practices while performing those tasks assigned accurately.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a valid Georgia Driver's License and the ability to acquire a valid Georgia Commercial Driver's License within the first twelve months of employment.
- Must be willing and have ability to climb poles.
- Must have ability to obtain certification in fork lift operation and traffic flagging and control.
- Must obtain hand tools required by the position.
- Must be able to meet Primary and Secondary on-call requirements. Must be willing to work after hours to assist in service restoration.
- Must be willing to serve regularly in the on-call rotation schedule for restoring service after hours.
- Must be able to wear and use all required safety devices and apparel.
- Must satisfactorily pass GreyStone’s physical, including a hearing and vision test, drug screen and background check.